Friday, March 23, 2012

INTERLUDE: In the meantimes...

Okay, I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that there probably aren't going to be many "Epic Tales..." strips from here on out, what with me doing the "Record Heat" strip on weekly basis and school, etc. But, I'll probably just post a big smattering of the shit I'm working on whenever I get a chance, such as...

This is an ad I created for the "Epic Tales..." minicomic (which was part of  an assignment for my intermediate Photoshop class). It's okay, but the guidelines of the project didn't allow me to do exactly what I wanted to, so it's a bit of a hodgepodge of ideas. But, I'm going to use the illustration of me sitting on the toilet for a T-Shirt in the near future, so it's not a total loss!

This one worked out a little better, I think, but I'll probably get a shittier grade 'cause I really didn't pay attention to the technical guidelines for the project at all. But, the main point was for us to illustrate an idiom, and my "Cock and Bull story" does the job.



This is a project I did for my Computer Illustration class. We had to use either the pen tool or the shapes tool in Adobe Illustrator, and weren't allowed to use the brush tools (which is usually my bread and butter of the program). It was a good exercise, even if the final product looks a bit stiff to me. This is also the first time I've felt comfortable enough with my abilities to use a lot of  gradients without the fear of it looking cheesy.

 This is another project for that same class, but one in which we were allowed to use the brush tools, in addition to a drawing tablet. I created a couple of custom brushes for this one, and tried to keep it sketchy. I was kinda trying to replicate some of the ink washes in Shannon Wheeler's more recent work with the grey-tones, but in a vector program. I actually like this one quite a bit.

Here's a couple random sketches of my character that appears in the "Unite and Take Over, vol. 2" anthology, which is debuting at Phoenix Comicon.


 Finally, this is the first of two projects I've been working on which will be featured as the cover art of 7" records. This is the process, and the finished product, for the "Landfill Babies" record:



Okay, that's enough of this. See ya next time!

No comments: